Friday 11 April 2014

Here come the foals!

I feel like my Ranger life hasn't been hugely exciting this week, I've either been in meetings or doing fencing on Tubney Fen. The fencing is coming along nicely though, and we managed to hang most of the gates and I've been out this morning with Jason, one of our fencing contractors, pushing in lots and lots of fence posts. I must have walked over 3 miles around Tubney, which is why I'm having a rest doing office work this afternoon! The good thing about being out on Tubney so much is that I'm getting to see all the summer wildlife that's starting to appear. We've seen lots of butterflies, Brimstones, Tortoiseshells and Peacocks, lots of Skylarks and Meadow Pipits and Tufted Ducks on the mere. On the Mere there have also been a pair of Oystercatchers spotted and there is a Canada Goose nesting right in front of the hide.

The best gate I have managed to put up this week


Front of house maintanence has started, with John and Andy strimming and hedge trimming everywhere! Ruby has also been repainting the boardwalk signs, and herself. Its all looking lovely ready for the tons of visitors that have turned up with the combination of the Easter Holidays and good weather.

We have also appointed a new long term volunteer, congratulations Luke!

There have been two new foals on the fen last weekend, Sky and Gracie have had a boy and a girl respectively. And hot off the press, Nanja has foaled today!

Gracie with her new little one

Sky with her first ever foal!

No comments:

Post a Comment